Views on the concept of multinational approaches to the management and disposal of nuclear waste
- Each country must take responsibility for its own nuclear waste.
- Each country has the right to prohibit the import of foreign waste into its territory.
- A successful implementation within the next 10-20 years of some advanced national programmes is a top priority.
- Countries can agree to share storage or disposal solutions, provided that they comply with international obligations and internationally accepted safety standards.
- The ethical considerations to be taken into account in the case of a shared or multinational repository must be the same as those applying to national repositories.
- International organisations can play an important role to promote RD&D cooperation between member countries and to support progress in national programmes.