Status of Implementation
- Posiva is in charge of construction and operation of a final repository for spent fuel from Olkiluoto and Loviisa NPPs
- Posiva's construction license application for the repository was submitted in 2012. Construction licence was granted in November 2015. The final disposal is scheduled to start in early 2020's.
- One element of the site investigations conducted at Olkiluoto is the excavation of the underground rock characterisation facility (ONKALO™) that extends approximately to the depth of 450 meters. ONKALO is a research faclity which will be connected to the final disposal facility. Excavation of ONKALO started in 2004 and disposal depth was reached in the summer of 2010.
- Posiva has a valid Decision in Principle for a final disposal facility accommodation the spent fuel from five NPPs, totaling 6500 tU
- For the latter expansion an Environmental Impact Assessment was finalised in October 2008, updating the EIA made in 1990s and addressing the impact of expansion.
Target Geologic Formation: Crystalline
Earliest In-Service Date: Early 2020's